FreeNAS is an embedded open source NAS (Network-Attached Storage) distribution based on FreeBSD, supporting the following protocols: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, TFTP, AFP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI (initiator and target) and UPnP.
It supports Software RAID (0,1,5), ZFS, disk encryption, S.M.A.R.T/email monitoring with a WEB configuration interface (from m0n0wall).
FreeNAS can be installed on Compact Flash/USB key, hard drive or booted from LiveCD.
- Base System
* Base OS: Embedded FreeBSD 7.2 (supported devices list)
* Need only 64MB on media (flash compliant) and 256Mb of RAM
* Multiple arch: i386 or amd64
* Full Web Management Interface
- Network Protocols supported
* SMB/CIFS (Samba)
* AFP (Netatalk)
* FTP (ProFTPD)
* TFTP (tftp-hpa)
* RSYNC (client/server)
* SCP (SSH)
* iSCSI target
- Extra services
* Bittorent client (Transmission)
* UPnP server (FUPPES)
* iTunes/DAAP server (Firefly)
* Webserver (lighttpd)
* Network bandwitdh measure (Iperf)
- Hard drive / volume management
* Software RAID 0,1,5 and mix (1+0,1+1, etc…)
* Disk encryption (using cryptographic accelerator card if present)
* Filesystem: UFS, Ext2/3, FAT, NTFS
* Partition: MBR and GPT
* iSCSI initiator
* 802.1q vlan tagging
* link aggregation
* Wake On Lan
* S.M.A.R.T (smartmontools)
* Email alert
* UPS (NUT)
Before you start
FreeNAS it is and will be designed to provide a robust and full-featured network-server-only environment.
Installing FreeNAS will trash any other OS and any data on the machine! Remember that FreeNAS is an Operating system and not a software!
Download the FreeNAS ISO, burn it to a CD-ROM, then boot from the CD-ROM. The Initial Configuration is done via the FreeNAS Console Setup Menu on the FreeNAS PC. After this stage FreeNAS will be installed on and run from your drive.