" Free and powerful web-based mailing list manager for managing electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. "
- From Mailman Development Team
Mailman is free software for managing electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists much like Majordomo and Smartmail. Unlike most similar products, Mailman gives each mailing list a web page, and allows users to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. over the web.
Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists.
Mailman supports built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and more.
Here's a brief description of the features:
* Through-the-web list creation and removal (with automatic support depending on the MTA)
* Multi-lingual support: list web pages and email notices can be in any of nearly two dozen supported language, configurable per-site, per-list, and per-user
* "Real name" support for members
* Much better password-less operation for simple user tasks.
* Support for personalized deliveries and VERP-like message delivery for foolproof bounce detection
* Emergency moderation
* MIME-based content filtering, with demime/stripmime like options
* Regular expression based topic filtering
* Better membership management, including searching
* Re-organized administrative requests pages
* Moderated newsgroup support
* A new architecture for the mail delivery subsystem, removing the dependence on cron, for better responsiveness and scalability
* New moderation and privacy controls
* Autoresponse governors
* Users can now change some of their delivery options globally, for all lists at a site, including their password, delivery status, real name, etc.
* Much better MIME and I18n support in the archiver
* A separate "list moderator" role has been added
* Urgent: header support (bypasses digests to reach all users immediately).
Here is a short summary of other features in Mailman:
* Web based list administration for nearly all tasks, including list configuration, moderation (post approvals), management of user accounts.
* Web based subscribing and unsubscribing, and user configuration management. Users can temporarily disable their accounts, select digest modes, hide their email addresses from other members, etc.
* A customizable home page for each mailing list.
* Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting rules.
* Configurable (per-list and per-user) delivery mode
- Regular (immediate) delivery
- MIME digest
- Plain (RFC 1153) digests
* Integrated bounce detection within an extensible framework. Automatic disposition of bouncing addresses (disable, unsubscribe).
* Integrated spam filters
* Built-in web-based archiving, with hooks for external archivers such as MHonArc.
* Integrated Usenet gatewaying.
* Integrated auto-replies.
* Majordomo-style email based commands.
* Multiple list owners and moderators are possible.
* Support for virtual domains.
* Runs on GNU/Linux and most Un*x-like systems, compatible with most web servers and browsers, and most SMTP servers. Requires Python 2.1.3 or newer.
* An extensible mail delivery pipeline.
* High-performance mail delivery, with a scalable architecture.