What is Swype?
Swype provides a faster and easier way to input text on any screen. With one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard, the patented technology enables users to input words faster and easier than other data input methods—at over 50 words per minute. The application is designed to work across a variety of devices such as phones, tablets, game consoles, kiosks, televisions, virtual screens and more.
Simply Trace a Path
The word "quick" was generated from tracing the path shown above in a fraction of a second, by roughly aiming to pass through the letters of the word. A key advantage to Swype is that there is no need to be very accurate, enabling very rapid text entry.
* Over 40 words per minute on touchscreen devices
* Standard QWERTY layout
* Use a stylus or finger
* Ideal for Smartphones and Tablet PCs
* Multiple languages available
* Supports common editing actions
* SDK available now!
* Single Tap Predictive Text for mobile devices
Speed and Accuracy
Swype is faster than existing text entry methods because it has built-in intelligence that does not require users to hit each letter accurately. Also, tracing a smooth, continuous path is much faster than "target-tap-lift-target-tap...". Even novice users can quickly achieve sustained data entry speeds of over 40 words per minute.
* Swype has been designed to run in real-time on relatively low-powered portable devices.
* The Swype software is very tightly written with a total memory footprint of under 1 MB,
* The algorithms used for Swype were invented by the founders, and contain unique concepts that make the software both powerful and fast.
* The software has been developed from the ground up with an eye toward localizing it to other languages as well as porting it to other operating systems.
* You can go fast and be sloppy
* Easy to Learn. The keyboard layout is QWERTY.
* The smooth motion of sliding from letter to letter feels very natural, not to mention fast.
* Swype can be used equally well with either a stylus or your fingertip.
* Auto Spelling Correction
* Capitalization Shortcut
* 65,000-word Learning Dictionary
* Keep track of your speed using Swype’s built-in statistical tracking.
* Accented Characters
* Over 50 Symbols
* Automatic Help
* Interactive Tutorial
* Advanced Features
* Input Slider. The slider is labeled at the far left with "Faster Response" and at the far right with "Sloppier Input."
Swype Beta for Android - Download Notes:
For security reasons you can only download the beta software a limited number of times.
This is a BETA and is not a fully functional version of Swype. Specifically, it only has English, Spanish, and Italian and we have an editing method which is not supported in a downloadable version. Also, we have found that to truly integrate a soft keyboard on a phone, it needs to be pre-loaded. Thus, you may experience some aberrant behavior. Again, this is a BETA.
The beta is open to all phones using Android which DO NOT already have Swype pre-installed by the phone manufacturer / carrier.
If you have Swype pre-installed on your phone DO NOT attempt to install this beta of Swype!
No direct-downloads at this time. After registering via the download link, you will be emailed a link to the Swype Beta Installer. We will verify your phone's hardware and software to confirm that Swype will work on your phone. We will not, and cannot, access any personal information (i.e. contacts, telephone numbers, etc) from your phone.
Limitations in downloadable version: