Tux Paint 0.9.21
||May 19, 2010
||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 7, Windows 2000, Mac OS X, Linux
||Download Tux Paint
BumperSoft Editor's Review Status:
Publisher's Description of Tux Paint
" A drawing program for young children with sound effects, a cartoon character, and fun 'rubber stamp'/'stickerbook' pictures. "
- From Tux Paint
Tux Paint is a free, award-winning drawing program for children ages 3 to 12 (for example, key stages 1 and 2). It combines an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program.
Kids are presented with a blank canvas and a variety of drawing tools to help them be creative.
* Paint brush
* Rubber stamp
* Line tool
* Shape tool
* Text and label tool
* 'Magic' (special effects) tools e.g. Blur, Bricks, Cartoon, Chalk, Confetti, Emboss, Fisheye, Mirror, Mosaic, Rainbow, Ripples, Rosette, Picasso, Snow Flake, Tint, Waves, Zoom and etc.
* A number of useful drawing tools are made available. (See Drawing Tools, below.)
* The drawing canvas is a fixed size, so the user doesn't need to worry about 'pixels' or 'inches' when making a new picture.
* The entire program fits on a screen as small as 640x480, and can be displayed full-screen, to hide the computer's underlying 'desktop' interface. (It defaults to 800x600 mode, but can run at larger sizes and in portrait or landscape mode, as well.)
* Loading and saving of images is done using thumbnails, so no knowledge of the underlying operating system's file-system structure is needed. Even filenames are unnecessary.
* Fun sound effects are played when tools are selected and used.
* A cartoon version of Tux, the Linux penguin, appears at the bottom to give tips, hints and information.
Parts of Tux Paint have currently been translated into more than 80 languages.
International Character Input
Enter text in different languages using the Text tool:
* Latin languages - Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, etc.
* Japanese - Romanised Hiragana and Romanised Katakana
* Korean - Hangul Bul-2
* Traditional Chinese
Parental and Teacher Controls
* Run Tux Paint in full-screen mode, or have it 'grab' the mouse pointer, to prevent children from accidentally accessing other programs or files on the desktop.
* Sound effects can be disabled.
* The Print and Quit options can be disabled.
* Alternatively, the Print option can be limited to allow only one print every n minutes.
* Tux Paint cannot be launched more than once every 30 seconds, to prevent multiple copies from being run accidentally, due to over-eager mouse clicking.
* The directory/folder where Tux Paint saves files may be changed. This can be used to save pictures in a student's home directory on a network drive or shared drive, rather than locally on one particular workstation.
* Stamps, starters and brushes are stored using popular open formats (PNG, SVG, Ogg Vorbis, etc.) allowing parents and teachers to create their own content for use at home or in the classroom - even using completely free tools.
* The 'Tux Paint Config.' program allows parents, teachers, and school technicians to alter Tux Paint's behaviour using a simple, easy-to-use graphical interface. (It's separate from Tux Paint, to prevent children from changing things.)
* ... and much more!
Share Tux Paint with Friends
(Just For Kids)
WEEK'S TOP DOWNLOADS