||Open Source Matters, Inc.
||Dec 14, 2010
||Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows NT, Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 7, Windows 2008, Windows 2003, Windows 2000, Unix
||MySQL 4.1, PHP 5.2, Apache 2.x or Microsoft IIS 7
BumperSoft Editor's Review Status:
Publisher's Description of Joomla
" An open-source, award-winning content management system (CMS) to build Web sites and powerful online applications. "
- From Open Source Matters, Inc.
Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.
What is CMS?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don't have to.
Who uses Joomla?
Joomla is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
* Corporate Web sites or portals
* Corporate intranets and extranets
* Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
* E-commerce and online reservations
* Government applications
* Small business Web sites
* Non-profit and organizational Web sites
* Community-based portals
* School and church Web sites
* Personal or family homepages
Joomla is so much more than just a powerful content management system. Here is a list of features "out of the box," but the true power of Joomla is in its extensibility:
* User management: Registration system that allows users to configure personal options.
* Media manager: Easily manage media files or folders and you can configure MIME type settings to handle any type of file.
* Language manager: International support for many world languages and UTF-8 encoding.
* Banner management: Easy to set up banners on your site starting with creating a client profile. You can set impression numbers, special URLS and more.
* Contact management: Help users find the right person and their contact info. Also support multiple contact forms going to specific individuals as well as groups.
* Polls: If you want to find out more about your users, it's easy to create polls with multiple options.
* Search: Help navigate users to most popular search items and provide the admin with search statistics.
* Web link management: Provide link resources for site users is simple and you can sort them into categories, even count every link.
* Content management: Simplified three-tiered system of articles makes organizing your content a snap. Your users can rate articles, email them to a friend, or automatically save a PDF. Admin can archive content for safekeeping, hiding it from site visitors.
* Syndication and Newsfeed management: Allowing users to subscribe to new content in their favorite RSS reader.
* Menu manager: Create as many menus and menu items as you need.
* Template management: Powerful way to make your site look exactly the way you want and either use a single template for the entire site or separate template for each site section.
* Integrated help system: Built-in help section to assist users with finding what they need.
* System features: Speedy page loads are possible with page caching, granular-level module caching and GZIP page compression. Debugging mode and error reporting available.
* Web services: Use Remote Procedure Calls (via HTTP and XML). Integrate XML-RPC services with the Blogger and Joomla APIs.
* Powerful Extensibility: Joomla Extensions Directory to see thousands of ways to enhance Joomla to suit your needs.
Share Joomla with Friends
(Scripting and Web Applications)
WEEK'S TOP DOWNLOADS